Certified B Corporations are redefining the way we do business — as a powerful force for good. B Corps are for-profit organizations that are certified to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability and transparency through the B Lab Impact Assessment.
There are more than 2,400 B Corporations in 50+ countries that are unified in the global movement of being the best for the world. Prosper for Purpose joined the growing list of Ohio B Corporations two years ago to align our organization with like-minded individuals and demonstrate that business can be a tool for positive change.
In February, Prosper kicked off B Corp Month with a feature in Crain’s Cleveland Business magazineexplaining the deeper meaning behind our passionate team’s work with our purpose-driven clients. In the article, Founder and CEO Lorraine Schuchart emphasizes that having a third-party certification makes a huge difference in marketing and public relations. This is especially important today as there is an unfortunate trend of organizations jumping on the ‘buzzword bandwagon’ without reporting any real social or environmental benefit.
Many states have passed B Corporation legislation that allows organizations to form, convert or merge into a public benefit corporation.
In Ohio, a bill has been proposed to formally recognize the 17 Ohio-based B Corporations that are dedicated to measuring the ways in which they positively affect their communities through better business practices. We want to highlight five of our fellow Ohio B Corporations who are dedicated to social and environmental impact:
Five Ohio B Corporations to Follow
- OverDrive, Inc.: This digital media distribution company is focused on empowering communities by making reading more accessible and entertaining. OverDrive offers the largest digital content catalog in the world and has 38,000 library and school partners to support literacy efforts.
- Commonhouse Ales: The first certified B Corp brewery in Ohio, Commonhouse Ales is dedicated to mastering the art of beer for good by investing in people, community and business. Proceeds from its Six One For Good Ale go directly to Central Ohio charities. We love the example they set for taking care of your neighborhood.
- EPOCH Pi: This company takes a holistic approach to investment banking with a culture of care, compassion and human connection to its stakeholders. EPOCH Pi helps purpose-driven companies thrive and flourish by providing them with a trusted partner to guide your organization through its needs, budget and goals.
- Thrive Impact Sourcing, LLC: Based in Cincinnati, this B Corp is focused on creating high-quality IT career opportunities for untapped talent in low-employment areas. Thrive Impact Sourcing is changing the socioeconomic trajectory in the local community by matching business needs and job opportunities with trained talent. We’d call that a win for everyone.
- Third Sun Solar: This woman-owned company is dedicated to designing and installing clean energy solutions for residential and commercial clients across the Midwest. Third Sun Solar is leading the shift to clean energy for homeowners, businesses, institutions and government entities.
These five certified B Corporations are all making a huge difference in various ways focused on one underlying goal — utilizing business as a force for good. The number of organizations dedicated to making this significant difference is ever growing. #BTheChange by following B Corporation on social media to receive the latest updates and find organizations that share your passion for good.